Friday, April 21, 2006

Ben and Jerry, Black and Tan, Captain and Tennille

Our politically correct world is getting too politically correct. Ben and Jerry's have apologized to Ireland (not Kathy) for the name of one of their new ice creams, Black and Tan, named after the drink of the same name. Apparently, there was a violent British militia of the same name that operated during Ireland's war of independence. How are they supposed to know this? A Black and Tan is normally thought of as a beverage, at least here in the States. Should Ben and Jerry's apologize to the Black and Tan Coonhound population as well for fear of offending the canine consumers? I'm sure any of my Irish friends would just say "fook it, pour me another pint... and stop callin' me Paddy!".


*more comments on the subject found here.

1 Comments:

At 4/21/2006 10:59 PM, Blogger Elsa said...

I just read the news piece, too and that the same thing - give me a break. I never heard of this violent British militia and I'm guessing B&J hadn't heard of it either. I (and probably everyone else) only know of Black and Tan as a beer. Are people getting mad at the beer????? B&J's Black and Tan was obviously a reference to the beer and not to the militia. Geez!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home