Monday, June 05, 2006

Who invented this phrase?

"To be honest with you"

You strike up a conversation with someone or listen to an interview and half way into the conversation, it comes up...

Person A: "Oh, and therefore I believe that man and llamas can co-exist in relative harmony".

Person B: "Yes, but what about the unicorns?"

Person A: "To be honest with you, I haven't factored in the unicorns... blah blah blah."

So up to that point in the conversation you weren't completely honest with the other person? Were thou not telling the truth and simply winging it? Maybe it's just me but that saying just does sound right. I've probably said it a few times myself so I shouldn't squawk.

3 Comments:

At 6/06/2006 8:31 AM, Blogger Elsa said...

To be honest with you :-), I sometimes use that phrase and HATE when I say it for the same reasons you state. I think I use it when I want to emphasize - but it's silly and have been trying to not say it as much.

 
At 6/06/2006 12:35 PM, Blogger Elsa said...

Actually, I use that phrase not when I'm emphasizing, but when I'm being very blunt.

 
At 6/07/2006 9:48 AM, Blogger Carmen said...

I say it, too, and I don't like it. And if I'm talking to a wisenheimer, they usually respond with, "No, I want you to lie to me." Which, I then proceed to do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home