Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Then why did you ask?

I was about to get in my car today from going to the ATM when some lady across the street in her car yells, "Excuse me, sir!". I looked up and saw she was about to turn onto the street from a convenience store parking lot and her head was sticking out of her window.

"Can you tell me how to get to Rte. 95 from here?" she bellowed.

"Hmm, let see." I replied and looked up and down the street to get my bearings.

"Take a right at these set of lights," I pointed, "then go onto Rte 128 South and you will pick up Rte 95 from there."

She looked at me with a puzzled look, then proceeds to ask a lady walking back to her car the same question. I looked at them as this person gives a totally different set of directions to God knows where.

Do I not give directions properly? I would have shrugged it off, but this isn't the first time this has happened to me. Was I speaking in some foreign tongue that confused the recipient? Was she expecting me to say, "You're driving on 95 right now! Congratulations!"

When the lady drove off, I got in my car and thought, "Did that just happen again? What the..." Maybe next time my answer will be, "You can't get there from here".

4 Comments:

At 3/30/2006 7:25 AM, Blogger Elsa said...

Next time, just say "go straight ahead", regardless of what the directions really are.

 
At 3/30/2006 12:29 PM, Blogger Carmen said...

Don't you hate it when you give out directions, then after the person drives away you realize that you accidentally gave them the wrong directions? I've done that before...oops...sorry.

Or, you give perfect directions (like you did, Ed), and the person is nodding his/her understanding, and then when you're done you realize that the person is going to totally fuck them up...but not because of your flawless directions, but because he/she is simply stupid? I hate that, too.

 
At 3/30/2006 8:29 PM, Blogger Ed said...

The funny thing is the other lady basically said what Elsa suggested to say. I was looking at her thinking, "that's not freakin' right".

 
At 3/31/2006 9:32 PM, Blogger Tam said...

I would prefer it if, when I ask for directions, the person just said, "follow me, I'm going that way"!!! Ok, that's just me, the girl who grew up in a town with 1 traffic light!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home